[rescue] Retracting bids on ebay.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 10:04:53 CST 2004

> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> Date: 2004/03/29 Mon PM 02:07:36 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Retracting bids on ebay.
>

> If he retracted a bid for the sake of a dollar, after
> already having been outbid *anyway*, I'd say it's a
> pretty strong indication of shilling going on.  You
> might want to contact eBay.

Well, I think he wanted to save a pound, not a dollar, but that is a nit I choose to pick.

Anyway, I have retracted a bid once - I went way overboard and bid too much for an item, relative to the other similar items on ebay at the time... But, when Imade my mistake, I retracted the bid, sent the seller an email/question advising him of the mistake, and then I immediately replaced my bid with a correct one - all in a span of about 5 minutes. I don't think I won the item, but I didn't overpay either...

I think retracting a bid is a big deal, and shouldn't be done lightly - but sometimes it iis the right thing to do. I'd suggest pointing out this unusual behavior to ebay...