[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Mar 25 15:01:45 CST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:28:09PM -0500, Kevin wrote:

> A great deal of small companies use the controller for IT decisions
> and hiring.  I have never understood that.  To top that off, i work
> for a respected accounting firm, and from what i have seen in the past
> few years, people and companies come to their accountants for advice
> on all sorts of things.  Where da' fuck this mentality comes from?
> i'll never understand.  I asked the partner who hired me about it once
> and he said something about companies/people inherently trusting the
> people who deal with their money for all other things.  Didn't make
> much sense to me.  I'm not about to ask my electrician for advise on
> where to get my suits cleaned, so why ask an accountant for advise on
> IT systems?

I think it's along the same lines as when I was in junior high and
high-school.  I've never been real strong with higher maths, much more
than algebra II and it just never took.  Teachers were always confused,
"But you use computers, you should be good at math, right?"

So, I guess if you trust that your accountant is good at math, he must
know computers, right?  After all, he's using something other than Word
and IE, and that takes computer talent!

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org