Wordstar (was [rescue] FrameMaker_

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Wed Mar 24 12:38:35 CST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, N. Miller wrote:

> Wordstar is the reason I prefer emacs to vi.  Doing ctrl+some letter(s) |
> meta+
> some letter(s) makes more sense to my hands and my brain than
> "colon+some letter meaning something+[optional slash + etc | $ ]"
>
> Funny how our original interactions with the UI of a computer or
> application
> color all that come after.  Part of the reason I stick to certain apps
> now
> on the Mac and PC has to do with the divergence of UI elements.  My
> favorite thing about PuTTY, for example, is that middle-click paste "just
> works" in the Windows UI.

We get used to features after a while, that's definitely true.  I've had
Sun systems as my primary desktops for thirteen years now, and I've really
gotten used to some X UI features.  Transparent copy and mouse click paste
are nice, but true focus follows mouse (with no autoraise) and a "front"
key top my wishlist for OSX.

I learned Wordstar early on in CP/M-land, but I ended up using vi over
emacs probably because emacs ran like frozen tar on the early-80's VAXen I
learned Unix on.

-Janet