[rescue] FrameMaker

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 22 16:19:37 CST 2004

Mon, 22 Mar 2004 @ 20:10 +0000, Mike Meredith said:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:57:29 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > On that note, years ago I saw a newspaper edit room.  One guy had a
> > workstation with two page-oriented displays.  In one he was editing
> > markup tags, almost like .nroff and TeX.  The other was updated in
> > realtime, or close to it.  It was kinda neat.
> >
> > I think something close to that would be doable with nroff or even TeX
> > using some simple vi macros.
>
> You could have a look at :-
>
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/whizzytex/
>
> which claims to do what you want (although I haven't tried it).

I tried it some time ago.

Ick.

Like I said, you need the ability to generate diffs of the output and
have an output program that could deal with that.

Right now, I just load up a DVI PostScript viewer and do this:

    while :
    do
	[[ "$inputfile" -nt "$outputfile" ]] && {
	    <process input file>
	    signal user or display program
	}
    done

...which works well enough most of the time.  But on long documents, it
gets to be a pain.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]