[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 16, Issue 47

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 22 09:05:22 CST 2004

> From: "William Enestvedt" <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu>
> Date: 2004/03/22 Mon PM 02:56:27 GMT
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: RE: [rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 16, Issue 47

>    Come to think of it, that PB is still able to surf
> the net on my home wireless link -- and it's eight years
> old. Try that with a 1996-era Wintel laptop running a
> contemporary (for that time) version of Windows.

I have a (now) 4 year-old PII 266 MHz laptop w/256 Meg RAM, and while it strains under a standard load of Red Hat Linux, it runs very nicely under Solaris x86, and it *could* go wireless, if I spring for the driver ($100), or wait for the rumoured inclusion of drivers in Solaris 10 x86...

>    A tape, you say? Hook up your stereo, rip the data
> to an MP3, and post it to USENET as a Modonna song --
> it'll be archived forever!

Interesting test of perverse techology - use your iPod to store Apple ][ software! ;^)

It would probably work for the flexible records Kilobyte magazine used to include (the "floppy" record was a concession to the agony of typing in software, and the problems involved with including a cassette with a magazine)...