[rescue] New subscriber...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Mar 14 03:51:46 CST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 04:37:33AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> And rumour has it that with OpenBoot PROM of 2.25R you can run
> those *damn* cheap 32 Meg DIMMs (they are what, $3/per these days?)...

and guess who has a 2.24R image? 8-)  Anybody need it, just ask.

> A base SS/20 system that takes $5 for a new OBP, $24 for 8x 32 Meg
> DIMMs and $20 for dual SM81s, and you've got a decent box... (I'd
> have a hard time running an SS/10, SS/10sx, or SS/20 with a framebuffer
> on it as a desktop, unless you are really text-based...

Honestly, I don't run *any* Solaris machines as graphical desktops any
more - all of my Suns are headless servers.  I put cheap Linux boxes (have
not had time to play with solx86 yet) with GeForce 2MX (or better) video
cards in them as desktop boxes for Mozilla and SSH to the Suns.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net