[rescue] withdrawn:: re: absinthe available for rescue'ers ....

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Mar 10 08:53:10 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 02:12:30AM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> > My sister came from Spain with some contraband - "jamon serrano"
> > ... they confiscated it, but that was all.
>
> The trick is to pack it (Jamon) airtight, they usually do it at the stores
> on special request (all you have to do is wash the container with dish
> detergent and them customs doggies won't be able to sniff it. That maybe
> the only thing I am willing to risk prision time cuz I can not live w/o that
> stuff.

What's so bad about the stuff?  Or, rather, why aren't you allowed it in
this country?

> I have had mixed experiences entering the US during the past 2 years, so I
> just try to keep things simple and easy. Sometimes the dudes are
> knowledgeableand they know that some cold cuts from the ol' world are not
> anything to freak about, and then I had one time that the person
> in the customs went all paranoid on me and I had to spend 2 hrs chatting
> to a few agents about what were in the 2 bottles I was carrying with me
> (homemade liquor that I got as a gift) which was rather scary, cuz you
> never know.

Matters might be slight different for citizens.  No guarantees, but still.

> Sorry to ask this, but why is all that stuff illegal in this country, I am
> not much of a drinker so I don't know why exactly that stuff could be
> considered bad (other than if you drink lots of it you get some minor
> "trips").

I suspect that (other than absinthe) most of the things aren't illegal
in this country, just illegal to import without a license, for reasons
that either have to do with supposed safety control, or else to help
protect a monopoly.

I don't know.  A lot of it makes no sense to me.