[rescue] suitability for use question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Mar 6 22:29:20 CST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 12:06, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> > For quite some time I've been planning a 'pet' project....
> >
> > Take a 7 Plextor CD-ROM tower, a system, and turn it into
> > a box that takes 7 audio CDs, rips the tracks and mp3 or ogg
> > (or both) encodes them including using cddb to populate the
> > mp3 data and to organize the resulting files into a hierarchy.
> >
> > Now... the question is what to use....
>
> First question, are you weded to MP3? Ogg/Vorbis files are much higher quality
> and take less space. The problem is that there are no Ogg portable players yet.

I may consider ripping to both formats... I have a portable cd player
that will do mp3, and an RCA (forget the name of it) portable flash
memory based mp3 player.... so I'll need mp3 if I want to use either
of those.....

> Second, the I/O load on an ide/scsi channel is pretty high when ripping a cd.
> Some CD drives, rip well, some badly. My preference is for Sony first, LG
> (lucky goldstar or just goldstar in the US).

These are scsi Plextor Ultraplex 32s.... I've always found plextor to
be great at reading audio tracks.  With plextors, I can usually rip
a wav file, rip it again, and get the exact same file.... with other
readers... the files will differ (albeit seemingly sound the same)
(and that was with a ripper that supported jitter correction).

That was some time ago, and I'm sure drives are better now... but
Plextors have always been great for this.  Not sure what speed a
32X plextor will rip audio at.... but later ones performed really
fast... I wouldn't be surprised if it supports 12X or faster ripping.

> Since there are good tools for doing CD audio extraction, e.g. EAC for windows,
> GRIP for linux, Itunes for Mac OS/X, there is no reason not to parallel process.
>
> Avoid loading the ripped wav (uncompressed files) to the network, place
> them on a local staging disk.

Absolutely.. the network will be for the mp3/ogg files.

> Geoff.

-- Curt