[rescue] suitability for use question

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Mar 6 11:53:37 CST 2004

On Saturday 06 March 2004 12:06, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> > For quite some time I've been planning a 'pet' project....
> >
> > Take a 7 Plextor CD-ROM tower, a system, and turn it into
> > a box that takes 7 audio CDs, rips the tracks and mp3 or ogg
> > (or both) encodes them including using cddb to populate the
> > mp3 data and to organize the resulting files into a hierarchy.
> >
> > Now... the question is what to use....
>
> First question, are you weded to MP3? Ogg/Vorbis files are much

If you read the rest of the thread, you'd discover "yes he does."

> higher quality and take less space. The problem is that there are no
> Ogg portable players yet.

Sure there are!

Dcube and iRiver make some (from scanning slashdot articles) and the Rio
Karma.  The next "mp3 player" I get is going to support oggs.  And I
think my Rio 500 just bit the dust, so it may be sooner than I
thought...

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/