[rescue] suitability for use question

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Mar 6 11:06:10 CST 2004

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> For quite some time I've been planning a 'pet' project....
>
> Take a 7 Plextor CD-ROM tower, a system, and turn it into
> a box that takes 7 audio CDs, rips the tracks and mp3 or ogg
> (or both) encodes them including using cddb to populate the
> mp3 data and to organize the resulting files into a hierarchy.
>
> Now... the question is what to use....

First question, are you weded to MP3? Ogg/Vorbis files are much higher quality
and take less space. The problem is that there are no Ogg portable players yet.

Second, the I/O load on an ide/scsi channel is pretty high when ripping a cd.
Some CD drives, rip well, some badly. My preference is for Sony first, LG
(lucky goldstar or just goldstar in the US).

Since there are good tools for doing CD audio extraction, e.g. EAC for windows,
GRIP for linux, Itunes for Mac OS/X, there is no reason not to parallel process.

Avoid loading the ripped wav (uncompressed files) to the network, place
them on a local staging disk.

Geoff.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
I've watched "The Passion". It's the worst version of MacBeth I've ever seen.