[rescue] RS/6000 250: LED 513 while booting AIX install CD?

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Tue Mar 2 23:17:53 CST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:49:35 -0600
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Todd Carson wrote:
>
> > It boots okay from the installation CD until it reaches 513 on
> > the LED, where is seems to hang indefinitely.
>
> Is this an actual AIX 5.1 media kit or a "mkcd" restore set?

It's an official media kit. I'm booting from the CD labeled volume 1 of 5.

> I don't believe you should be seeing that prior to telling it go ahead > and perform the installation.  Do you ever see anything on the > console?

I never get any output to either a monitor or a serial console. For what it's worth, during a normal boot from the hard drive, I never get any output to the serial console either and the monitor doesn't display anything just before AIX starts to boot multiuser (the first message on the screen is something like "saving base customize data to disk"). Since this is the first RS/6000 I've ever used, I don't know if this is normal or not.