[rescue] Re: NS FIP 3.3 boot floppy images?

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Sat Jun 26 05:00:09 CDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:

> Tonight I was inspired to fix up my Canon object.station 41, which I was
> dismayed to find out was booting up Windows 95... ack!

Sorry to follow-up to my own post, but since I read in digest mode,
there's sometimes a lag...

Anyway, good old peanuts.org had the floppy images - I couldn't find them
anywhere at Apple, as they seem to have gone out of their way to make the
old NeXT stuff as hard to find as possible.  I mean, it's probably a
handful of GB of static old data - how freakin' hard could it be to set up
an old box to serve up that stuff?  Grumble.

So, I remember now why I hate old PC hardware - having had to pop the top
about sixteen times (space is tight here, and the monitor cord couldn't
reach with the lid off) but I finally got the right bloody IO Port
assignment set on the BusLogic (someone had tweaked it) and set the sector
size to 2048 on the CD-ROM drive and screwed with the BIOS and SCSI
adapter configs for about two freakin' hours... woohoo!  It just
completed!

Asking to eject the floppy and hit return...

Booting into NeXTstep... running Configure.app... finishing the package
install!

So, for grins, I think when this install completes I'll fire up the Turbo
Color sitting NeXT to it and run them side by side for a while.  Perhaps
NeXT week I'll do the HP715 and the SS4... quad-fat, baby!  Yeah!

http://www.boondoggle.com/Basement2/Basement2-Pages/Image9.html

-- Chris