[rescue] Re: [geeks] ANYONE WANT A GMAIL ACCOUNT?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jun 23 22:46:55 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:08:06PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> No.  I would settle for both Meta and Alt written on the key though.
>>
>> The happy-hacking kb is 'alt' and the diamond.
>
> Are there different versions of that keyboard then?  I could have sworn
> the one I looked at most recently said alt and graph, rather than having
> the diamond.  Oh well, this really was a very picky point.

The only versions I've seen have the diamond.

The picture on the website has the diamond and the clover-leaf.  Some
of the pictures look like they've got some writing on the front of that
key, but the res isn't good enough for me to read what it says.

They used to sell replacement key-caps for Dvorak layouts, but they
don't seem to list that on their website anymore.

<snip>

>>> Just remapping everything is not the same as have a keyboard properly
>>> printed with the labels.
>>
>> Touch-typists shouldn't need or care about labels on the keys. ;-)
>
> Yes, but people who have to let others use their keyboards still do
> care.  Like, say, those who share the machine with their spouse.

Yeah, my wife got cranky with me when I mapped her caps-lock to control
(and didn't map the control to caps).  I set her keyboard back to
'normal' and she just deals when she's on my box.

>>> adapter.  Especially if it would allow me to map the function keys
>>> (front, stop, cut, etc) to the left.
>>
>> To use a type-3/4/5 on a PC?  That might be cool.
>
> Is type 3 at all compatible with types 4, 5, and 6?  I thought they made
> a major switch their.  If not, that's really handy to know for whenever
> I can bring my Sun 3/160 back into my domicile.

Honestly, I don't know.  I've never had a Sun3 system, each time I
started to want one, I'd remind myself I had plenty of other slow/68k
based UNIX capable systems. =)

The HH website claims that their layout is based on the Type-3 keyboard,
minus the extra stuff.  I wound up buying a USB number pad, my wife was
complaining about the lack of one on my box, which she likes to use when
she wants the extra screen real-estate.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org