[rescue] Re: [geeks] ANYONE WANT A GMAIL ACCOUNT?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jun 23 22:08:06 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:46:00PM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:

> >> Being a vi guy, I don't use meta anyways, so that key is pretty much
> >> unused on my systems.
> >
> > No.  I would settle for both Meta and Alt written on the key though.
>
> The happy-hacking kb is 'alt' and the diamond.

Are there different versions of that keyboard then?  I could have sworn
the one I looked at most recently said alt and graph, rather than having
the diamond.  Oh well, this really was a very picky point.

> I was refering to the happy-hacking keyboard, they are non-clicky, sound
> about like (and feel about like) the Dell Quiet-Key keyboards.

Sorry, miss-understood you.  I did know that the happy-hacking were
those buble style switchs.

> I never really thought about the key-throw before, but according to the
> specs on the website, it's 3.8mm for this kb..

I love the short key through keyboards.  The only reason that isn't what
I use on my main workstation is because it had some sort of
compatibility trouble with my Octane (though now I can no longer remeber
what that was.).

> > Just remapping everything is not the same as have a keyboard properly
> > printed with the labels.
>
> Touch-typists shouldn't need or care about labels on the keys. ;-)

Yes, but people who have to let others use their keyboards still do
care.  Like, say, those who share the machine with their spouse.

> > One possible product that I might buy would be a good Sun->PS/2
> > adapter.  Especially if it would allow me to map the function keys
> > (front, stop, cut, etc) to the left.
>
> To use a type-3/4/5 on a PC?  That might be cool.

Is type 3 at all compatible with types 4, 5, and 6?  I thought they made
a major switch their.  If not, that's really handy to know for whenever
I can bring my Sun 3/160 back into my domicile.