[rescue] EMC question (Pictures)

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Thu Jun 17 16:40:48 CDT 2004

Scotty Logan wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
>
>> I guess that way they dont have to use a network switch. But why dual
>> controllers per chassie.
>

> If by controllers you mean data movers, then it's for performance and
> scalability; if you mean FC or ethernet adapters it's for path
> redundancy.  Specifically, each port on the Emulex HBA would be
> connected, either directly or via separate switches, to a different FC
> board in an EMC Symmetrix array, or possibly to different service
> processors on an EMC Clariion (I know the Celerra is supported with
> the Symmetrix, and I think it is also supported with the Clariion).

With controllers I did mean ethernet controllers. They are 3com 10mbit
with AUI and BNC. I guess for booting them path redundancy should be
there too or maybe in the case of one failing.

>> Also I have not found any IDE or SCSI drive anywhere. Going to
>> investigate a bit further. The
>> controll station had a floppy in the inside too.
>

> See above.  The data movers are just NFS/CIFS gateways for EMC storage
> arrays - they don't use internal storage for the exported
> filesystems.  I don't know if they're supposed to have internal boot
> disks, or if they boot from the EMC storage array.  [We use EMC
> Symmetrix, Clariion and Centera ewhere I work, but no Celerra.]

It smells like it is booting of a floppy. The floppy has syslinux on it.
Will throw it into one of my boxes here today and see what will happen.
Probably is going to complain that it's not EMC hardware but I just want
to see what happens :-)

-- Thomas