[rescue] EMC question (Pictures)

Scotty Logan swl at catbert.net
Thu Jun 17 16:36:53 CDT 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> I guess that way they dont have to use a network switch. But why dual
> controllers per chassie.

If by controllers you mean data movers, then it's for performance and
scalability; if you mean FC or ethernet adapters it's for path
redundancy.  Specifically, each port on the Emulex HBA would be
connected, either directly or via separate switches, to a different FC
board in an EMC Symmetrix array, or possibly to different service
processors on an EMC Clariion (I know the Celerra is supported with the
Symmetrix, and I think it is also supported with the Clariion).

> Also I have not found any IDE or SCSI drive anywhere. Going to
> investigate a bit further. The
> controll station had a floppy in the inside too.

See above.  The data movers are just NFS/CIFS gateways for EMC storage
arrays - they don't use internal storage for the exported filesystems.
I don't know if they're supposed to have internal boot disks, or if
they boot from the EMC storage array.  [We use EMC Symmetrix, Clariion
and Centera ewhere I work, but no Celerra.]

   Scotty

--
Never take life seriously - Nobody gets out alive anyway