[rescue] Rows of buttons in xmessage

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 9 11:58:52 CDT 2004

Just a followup on this....

I installed gdialog.  It's part of the SGI Freeware Gnome Utilities package,
and the prereqs, libraries, and other miscellany brought the total
installation up to 128 MB or so.  Rather a lot, IMHO.

It's OK, and worlds better than xmessage, but highly eccentric:

1. It spits its results out to stderr, rather than stdout.

2. It must parse its command line with some bespoke internal mechanism,
since it really, really wants each argument in quotes.

3.  #1 and #2 make for some pretty entertaining Bourne shell programming.  I
now know a lot more about quoting and escaping than I did before.

4.  It has several very similar options for various kinds of presentations,
but lacks some things I'd think were obvious.  For example, it has a neat-o
menu presentation arrangement that lets you list a bunch of stuff for the
user to pick, and has a "cancel" button.  Works fine, too, if you remember
#1 and #2 above, but I don't see a way to add an "OK" button to go with the
cancel button.

Bottom line ... it's OK, and will do for now, but it's not exactly the thing
I need.

Thanks for all the help and pointers.

-Shel