[rescue] SGI Crimson boot sequence?

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Mon Jun 7 16:15:59 CDT 2004

Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

>>Or is -f required?
>>

>  I've seen it work either way. I am living with the impression that
>  using "-f" is the correct way to do it though.

Tried both way, no go.

>  The Toshiba drive you are mentioning is a rather old one, right? Do
>  you have a Plextor SCSI drive around? These are giving me good
>  results on IRIS 4Ds. The only catch is that the blocksize jumper has
>  to be set to force 512b blocksize operation.

I tried a Toshiba XM3501, an XM5301 (I couldn't find a setting for
blocksize on either), a plextor PX-32TSi (with and without the "Block"
jumper on), a NEC Spin something 6x, and still always the same exact
error. I also put the CDROM on bus 0 and SCSI ID 4 just in case,
following on Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez recommendation. No go.

Caleb also suggested:
 >Have you tried "ls dksc(1,2,8)" and "ls dksc(1,2,7)" ?

It complained it couldn't find ls (with some CDROM light activity just
before the error).

It could be that only the XM3401 (not 3501 or later) will work:
http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq/faq/html/hardware/47.html

As for Plextor, I know you are using one, but maybe only a specific
model or even firmware will work. What is your model/rev?

Francois