[rescue] SGI Crimson boot sequence?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Jun 3 12:53:49 CDT 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Francois Dion wrote:

> >  Ah, on the other hand VGX/VGXT doesn't make a big difference apart
> >  from the "nice to have" value I guess.
> >
> Is OpenGL out of the question on either anyway?

Yup, the VGX only runs IrisGL natively.. it might do OpenGL over IrisGL
though.

> > Getting 128MB instead of
> >  256MB sucks a bit, if the machine was free or cheap enough that
> >  isn't a problem either. It's enough for running IRIX 6.2.
> >
> Yes, but I have 2 machines and 1 with no memory... Looks like something
> I could find in my PC junkbox tough... I know we had a 4D/310 at
> Videoway that was OK with PC memory (9 chip tough, not the 8 chip variety).

Nope, POWER series RAM is custom 200pin parts, you may be thinking of an
old personal iris 4D/20 which used 30 pin memory.

> bootfile=dksc(1,2,8)sash
> bootmode=A
> root=dks1d2s0
> diskless=0
> path=dksc(1,2,8)
>
> Now I did move the CDROM to ID 2.

Nope that will not work because it is trying to boot off the SCSI HDD not
a CDROM. Older SGIs and I think Crimson is among them are really anal
about booting off the CDROM from ID#4 (this is very important, as other CD
Ids may give you trouble). Also in that hinv is telling you that is trying
to boot off the 2nd SCSI bus! MAke sure you are using the correct bus (I
blieve the IO3b has 2 buses).