[rescue] SGI Crimson boot sequence?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Jun 3 09:19:38 CDT 2004

Francois Dion says, WRT his Crimson, which refuses to boot ...

> I tried this:
> boot dksx(1,2,8)sash.IP17   (I actually guessed that part as I knew I
> had an IP17 not an IP4 as the example was showing).
>
> I got:
> open(dksc(1,2,8)sash) failed, errno=2      unable to load
> dksc(1,2,8)sash: file nout found.
>
> Same thing happens with either 5.3 or 6.2. Note that I dont see the
> CDROM light come on at all... The CDROM works fine on my Sun Ultra 1.

Somewhere in one of the 6.5.x man pages, for one of the scsi-oriented
commands, I remember seeing something about "older" machines not booting
from CD-ROM unless said CD-ROM was sent some command to make it imitate a
hard drive.  Ah, it's the -C option to scsicontrol.

Does this matter to a Crimson?

-Shel