[rescue] SGI Crimson boot sequence?

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Thu Jun 3 09:10:02 CDT 2004

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2004, at 9:32 AM, Francois Dion wrote:
>
>>                             Starting the system...
>>
>>               To perform system maintenance instead, press <Esc>
>> open(dksc(1,2,8)sash) failed, errno=5
>
> I just did what's on this page:
>
> http://sgistuff.tastensuppe.de/tips/install.html
>
> Go to option 5 to the command monitor... and put a 5.3 CD in...do the
> sash.IP17 command and fire up fx.IP17 (don't try this with 6.2)

Interesting that you mention this. Maybe There is something obvious I'm
missing but I had tried this last night (I was actually looking at "This
Old SGI" site instead of Gerhard's, but it should be the same).

hinv was showing my CDROM to be on bus 1, scsi ID 6. I moved it to ID 2,
on the same bus. Maybe I should try to get it on bus 0, but anyways...

I tried this:
boot dksx(1,2,8)sash.IP17   (I actually guessed that part as I knew I
had an IP17 not an IP4 as the example was showing).

I got:
open(dksc(1,2,8)sash) failed, errno=2      unable to load
dksc(1,2,8)sash: file nout found.

Same thing happens with either 5.3 or 6.2. Note that I dont see the
CDROM light come on at all... The CDROM works fine on my Sun Ultra 1.

I'm wondering if these should be set like this tough:
 >> printenv
bootfile=dksc(1,2,8)sash
bootmode=A
path=dksc(1,2,8)
[other stuff deleted]

I did notice just now that Gerhard is using the -f option (and his CD is
on bus 0, ID4), would that make a difference?:
|boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sash.IP17

Or maybe the CDROM really needs to be on bus 0.

Francois