[rescue] U30 video slowness

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 3 06:32:07 CDT 2004

> From: abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
> Date: 2004/06/03 Thu AM 08:50:47 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] U30 video slowness

> Have I badly misconfigured something, or is this the sort
> of performance I should expect from the U30?

U30s are reasonably fast machines with 250 MHz CPUs, and the Creator card, while not the fastest card around should be a decent performer, so I think your problem lies not in the hardware, but in the software.

I've no expereince with Debian on UltraSPARC hardware, but I'd look hard into the video driver, and I'd also suggest running the same browser remotely (from your PC) to isolate CPU performance from video performance.

Under a recent Solaris (8 or 9) that is a fine desktop machine, but it will feel a bit pokey in comparison to a "modern" PC in the GHz range.

If you insist on running Debian, you may not get the best performance from your hardware...

HTH,

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment with a content-type header it could not parse.]