[rescue] U10 IDE?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 2 10:34:17 CDT 2004

> From: Matthew Braun <rescue at leydenjar.com>
> Date: 2004/06/02 Wed PM 03:17:43 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] U10 IDE?

> > Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:51:43 +0000
> > From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] U10 IDE?
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>

> > Before spending serious $$ on a SCSI controller & disks, think about
> > selling the U10 base and getting something like a U2, U30 or U60 - all
> > of which should be available in some form for under $200 (the U60
> > would of course be a single proc. machine at that price)... E250s are
> > nice and affordable too...
>
> Ok, if I can get decent performance with an IDE drive (I don't need
> screaming disk speeds, just useable) then I'll probably go for that.

ok, SOUNDS GOOD...

> Since /me = poor-masters-student-living-with-folks, up and buying
> hardware is a painful proposition, so going for a U30 or U60 when I've
> already got a U10 sitting at home isn't appropriate. I'll throw Sol9 on
> there and be content. I was thinking about being perverse and trying to
> run Solarisx86  on the Penguin... (actually, no, just WinXP so I can
> fool around with DBDesigner and PowerDesigner).

Well... (read on...)

> Which brings me to the next topic: RAM! There's been talk about 3rd
> party RAM being ok, and as I'm a cheap/poor bastard, I don't mind.
> While I could blindly stalk the wild plains of ebay, are there any
> resellers that anyone recommends?

All my exp. has been with Ebay, and I've had good luck.

512 Meg of RAM for a U10 will most likely run about $100 (or more, less if you use low-density DIMMs), and it will take advantage of 4 identical DIMMs to increase memory bandwidth...

After you buy everything needed to turn this U10 base into a system, it will approach the price of a configured U2, which can use *cheap* SS/20 style RAM... (U2s are around $100-150 for low-end systems) Having the base doesn't mean buying all the bits is the best path to a cheap system...

Best of luck! I really like my U5 - BTW, what is the CPU speed - the ones with 2 MB cache are quite nice ;^)