[rescue] U10 IDE? (and possibly "NetApp home users")

John Michael Bischoff biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu
Wed Jun 2 01:01:17 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> Ishtar666 declared on Wednesday 02 June 2004 12:28 am:
> > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:57:47 -0400, you wrote:
> > >You can get 23gb full height SCSI drives for *$2.99* *NEW* online.
> > > Think, a 1TB SCSI array for under $200. (If space is of no concern)
> >
> > I don't suppose you'd have a link handy for those, would you?  $3 is
> > something even I can afford.
>
> Buyer beware, there was some talk about the seller on here before.. also,
> the shipping on the drive is several times what the drive alone costs
> (something reduculous like $15 per drive IIRC).  BTW, by "full height"
> he means 5.25" wide FH not 3.5" wide 1.6" tall...  They also have 47GB
> drives in the same formfactor for about $10 last I checked (+ excessive
> fixed-rate shipping).

Ahh, the Seagates-from-hell.  The Seagate Elite line did weird things like
that, making (then) huge capacities with huge form factors.  Usually they
were also HVD, and they were almost always PITAs IME.  They usually get
sub-$10, even for the 47G (I think about the time of the 47G Elites,
Seagate got bought), but shipping is rape incarnate.  This is because they
weigh damn near 5# each, not because of a given seller.  Basically, Elites
have always had quality issues, and they relied on being relatively huge
in capacity for their sales hook.  Of course, IBM did similar things about
the same time, but they dropped off the huge form factor bandwagon with
the 8G disks.  They make good doorstops though.