[rescue] U10 IDE?

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Tue Jun 1 09:36:31 CDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Peter Corlett wrote:

> sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org> wrote:
>> On Jun 1, 2004, at 05:52, Peter Corlett wrote:
>>> IDE disk and SCSIDE adaptor?
>> Where does one get such a thing, and what do they cost?
>
> I got my SCSI-2 one from eBay for about #25, but they're on sale from
> pc500.net for about #35. UW-SCSI and Ultra160/320 are more expensive.
>
> So you're probably looking at $70-100 for a reasonable spec adaptor,
> given the usual #1=$1 exchange rate for computer kit.

Hmm, how do adapted IDE drives compare in performance to, say, 7200RPM
3.5" half height Seagate Barracuda drives, which in SCA (80 pin) form, go
for $50 for the 50GB model (and can be adapted to 68 or 50 pin for about
$5)?  Unless the IDE drives perform significantly better, or you need 1/3
height mechanisms, why not use 50GB native SCSI drives?

- Nate