[rescue] U10 IDE?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jun 1 04:52:09 CDT 2004

Matthew Braun <rescue at leydenjar.com> wrote:
[...]
> Well, I was just given a Ultra 10 with a SunPCI (Penguin) though no
> ram or drive. In previous experience with U10's I found disk
> operations to be outrageously slow. Now, I checked the previous
> discussion on this but I couldn't find a conclusion. I could go for
> an OpenBoot compatible SCSI controller (and then pay out the ass for
> disks) but have great performance.

IDE disk and SCSIDE adaptor?

I use such a beast to put a Pioneer A06 DVD-RW drive in an external
case so I can share it between my PC, Mac and Amiga. It was dodgy when
directly on the IDE bus, but works great on SCSI. I also tried it with
a 120GB IDE disk, and that worked great too.

In fact, for my next desktop, I'm half tempted to have a SCSI RAID
controller, and a pile of cheap IDE disks with converters on them. The
SCSI should eliminate some of the IDE cruftiness, and the RAID is
because it's still cheap IDE disks.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key