[rescue] X forwarding vs RDP

Klaasjan Brand sunrescue at kjb.dds.nl
Tue Jun 1 02:09:24 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 20:34, Matthew Braun wrote:
> I don't know much about remote desktop technologies, but I was
> wondering if anyone had information about the bandwidth requirements of
> X-forwarding versus RDP? I'm under the impression that X is a hog
> compared to RDP, but I can't find any hard numbers (Google was not my
> friend this time).
>
> If X is a pig, are there any free replacements?

Check www.nomachine.com; site is down now (hope they are not out of
business. They sell a nifty x-compressing proxy which makes using x over
low bandwidth lines a lot more comfortable (even with xrender
extensions). The compression code is free, but their integrated solution
is payware... there's also a free evalution download which doesn't
expire.

--
groet,
Klaasjan Brand