[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jul 31 18:45:14 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 05:07:17PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Then go use the "other software raid solutions".
> Disksuite (or whatever Sun is currently calling it) is what comes with
> Solaris, it's one of the best and most robust software RAID solutions
> out there that won't get you into a $20,000 license fee, and it works
> just fine.  There's a documented procedure for setting up raid1 boot on
> Solaris, and it basically takes about ten minutes plus however long your
> machine takes to do a reboot and a metadevice sync.
> I can even provide you with a URL to the procedure, if you can bring
> yourself to use "a complete pile of shit".

Okay, I will say this:

DiskSuite/SVM isn't a pile of shit.

Its user interface *is*.

I recently (for a client) built a pair of 1.8Ghz P4 boxes running
Redhat Enterprise Linux 3, to replace a pair of SunFire 280Rs (various
reasons, including hosting costs, etc).

RedHat lets you (easily) setup RAID as part of the partitioning/install
process.  Solaris needs to get to that point - where you don't have to
install and THEN go back and setup mirrors by hand.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas