[rescue] A Question about Snap Servers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jul 31 13:48:43 CDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Eric Webb wrote:

> I know that AIX does 0/1/10, but does AIX do software RAID-5 out of
> the box as well....?  Is this something new?

AIX does not do software RAID 5.  But it's LVM capabilites can't really
be shoehorned into RAID 0/1/10, either.  You have physical volumes
(disks) which are cut into physical partitions.  Each PV belongs to
exactly one volume group, which you cut logical volumes (slices,
everywhere else) out of.  Each LV has a policy of how many copies of
each logical partition (a block the same size as a physical partition)
exist, and which physical volumes they must reside on.

So, you can have three disks in a VG, with your root/usr/var filesystems
each demanding three copies of each LP, with /tmp demanding only one and
spanning all three disks.

> (Not that I'd ever recommend it myself.)

RAID 5 or AIX? ;)

--
Jonathan Patschke )"We're Germans and we use Unix.  That's a combination
Elgin, TX        (  of two demographic groups known to have no sense of