[rescue] SGI Challenge Resurection (was : More Indigo Problems)

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Jul 27 10:14:48 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> I've look into it.  Expensive.  You need many, many feet of pipe, deep in
> the ground.  IIRC, just to A/C my 1,500 SqFt house in Atlanta, it was 200 Ft
> of 2" pipe, 5' down.  The heat exchanger was much more than the typical
> residential heat pump, too.  I think the whole deal was going to be 3 or 4
> times the $3,000 it cost to replace the gas furnace with a "regular" heat
> pump.

There are now vertical units available.  A couple of feet in diameter
and about 20 feet deep filled with liquid and coils of copper pipe.
You can make them by welding an end onto galvanized drainage pipe.

> But that was just regular residential use.  If you want major datacenter
> sized cooling, it's probably a completely different deal.

Hopefully there's a lake on the grounds. :)

-DanD

# The thinking that we are has brought us to where we have already been.
# In order to go somewhere else, we must think in a different way. -Einstein