[rescue] Re: SunHELP News: New server coming soon

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jan 28 18:01:40 CST 2004

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> --- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>FWIW the iBook G4 and the 12" Powerbook actually share the same
>>motherboard. You can use 1024MB modules on the iBook without a
>>problem.
>

> Wait, I look at the apple.com/store website and see different cache
> sizes and video options (cache I can see, by using diff CPU on same MB,
> but the graphics I question - are the graphics really a plug-in to the
> MB?)...

>>A superdrive can be retro-fitted (though installation is a reasonably
>>long procedure as opening the iBook isn't simple). I forget which
>>drive you need, but people are selling them as OEM parts on Ebay.
>

> Ugh - sub-optimal! But, agreed it is possible...

Can't be worse than the clamshell iBook HD, and really, that
wasn't that hard--mostly a patience issue.

> Refurb/NOS Superdrive 12" PowerBooks w/867 MHz CPUs are looked good,
> but the Apple store just sold out in the last 24 hours (they were
> $1,399)  ;^)

So what is supposed to be the difference b/w iBook G4/12" PB
graphics and the 15"/17" PB graphics?  I have heard that the
iBook is more durable, and I prefer smaller footprints.  But
the graphics card will be the main bottleneck going forward
(other upgrades are easier), so I'd probably go w/the top-notch
graphics if there's a big of a difference.

=Nadine=