[rescue] Re: SunHELP News: New server coming soon

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 17:22:15 CST 2004

--- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> FWIW the iBook G4 and the 12" Powerbook actually share the same
> motherboard. You can use 1024MB modules on the iBook without a
> problem.

Wait, I look at the apple.com/store website and see different cache
sizes and video options (cache I can see, by using diff CPU on same MB,
but the graphics I question - are the graphics really a plug-in to the
MB?)...

> Bluetooth support can be easily added with a USB dongle.

Ick - I want to pull out my laptop, pull out my cordless mouse and have
it just *work* - putting in and taking out dongles raise the threshold
to bluetooth-goodness - kinda like integrated WiFi vs plug-in WiFi card
with external antenna...

> Dual monitor support can be quickly hacked in via the open firmware.

I believe I said this, so agreed ;^)

> A superdrive can be retro-fitted (though installation is a reasonably
> long procedure as opening the iBook isn't simple). I forget which
> drive you need, but people are selling them as OEM parts on Ebay.

Ugh - sub-optimal! But, agreed it is possible...

Refurb/NOS Superdrive 12" PowerBooks w/867 MHz CPUs are looked good,
but the Apple store just sold out in the last 24 hours (they were
$1,399)  ;^)

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall