[rescue] Sun SparcStation 5 Memory

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Jan 26 12:41:31 CST 2004

Nadine Miller wrote ...
> Zach Lowry wrote:
[snip]
> > Also, none of them have CD-ROMs/Floppies either, if anyone has
> > a load of those that they're not doing anything with.
>
> I'm sending this to the list on purpose since others
> may be interested.
>
> I have 2 or 3 "caddy" type SCSI CD-ROM drives that
> were in disk trays attached to sparcs.  You would
> need a SCSI container to put them into (they are
> too big for the SS5/SS20 bay) before you could
> use them.  I'm not sure I have caddies for all of
> them (but those are easier to find).
>
> These are probably 1-2x speeds, 4x max (doubtful).
> Pay for postage and it's yours.
>
> Drop me an email if interested (I'm in CA).

I've found that a _very_ handy thing to have around a Sun/SGI shop is a
good, solid SCSI CD-ROM drive in an external case with a working ID switch.
I used to worry about having a CD-ROM drive for every machine, until one day
it dawned on me that I really only used the things about once a year, except
on my "media station."  So, most of my machines now have no permanent
external CD-ROM, or have a hard drive where the internal CD-ROM used to be.
My external CD-ROM is in a case with a handle on it, is strapped for
512-byte sectors, and works fine to boot anything in the house.  It's not a
fast drive, but it's good enough for booting and the very occasional
bare-metal installation.

-Shel