[rescue] %(#*^#(% soldered-down batteries...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Jan 25 15:05:14 CST 2004

Carl R. Friend says ...

>    Does anyone here have any knowledge as to where a Tadrian TL-5186
> battery can be had?  The one in my SGI Indigo IRIS went flat on me
> and I need^W would like to resuscitate it.
>
>    Making matters worse, the bloody thing is soldered onto the main
> board (R4k).  Will someone please tell the designer that batteries
> *DIE* after a while and *need* *to* *be* *replaced*!

I'd accuse someone of wanting to sell replacement mainboards, but, actually,
they probably expected those emachines to be so obsolete by now that now one
would care.  But then, if that's the case, why did they spend so much time
and energy engineering them to such a high standard?  You don't need all
that high-zoot engineering and fabrication on something that going to be
landfill in 8 or 10 years.  Not to mention that the designers never
envisioned hobbyists taking obsolete machines over and running them, or
computer museums, or ....

Still, they could have made the things replaceable!

-Shel