[rescue] Elite3D Question

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 23 17:51:56 CST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Mon, 19 Jan 2004 @ 22:38 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:
>
> > I've been giving very serious thought to moving to either xfs or jfs
> > myself.  Right now, I'm using ext3.
>
> JFS is supposed to have gotten a big speed boost recently, and someone
> told me it outran XFS in some recent tests.

Someone was talking about some of the BSDs and journaling (lack of) file
systems. We have a BSD box which runs their FS with softupdates, and it
seems to be rather robust even after power failures, probably not as good
as XFS, but so far we have not had that many issues with the machine (300+
GB and it is not hooked to an UPS so it gets plenty of power related down
times). Incidentally I lost a lot of data off an SGI machine running XFS
after a power failure (during the rolling black outs a couple of years
back).