[rescue] Elite3D Question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jan 23 11:59:43 CST 2004

Thu, 22 Jan 2004 @ 13:36 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> I saw some filesystem benchmarks recently, in some of which JFS edged
> out XFS, while in others XFS edged out JFS.  Both soundly beat ext3 for
> most operations.

Cool.

> A friend of mine swears by ReiserFS, but it didn't perform that
> dramatically better than ext3 on the benchmarks, and any filesystem
> which consumes 70% of CPU for the filesystem ALONE on some operations is
> not something I want anything to do with using.

Beware ReiserFS: it loses files.

ReiserFS users will adamantly deny this, and plenty will tell you they
have XXX days of uptime without errors.

However, there are frequent reports of data lossage, and patches in the
last year were for fixing problems like this.

Every time over the last three years I have tried ReiserFS, I have lost
files.

It will take a long time before it gets my confidence.