[rescue] SunPCI II Interface Speed

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jan 21 14:05:13 CST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:04:29PM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> few more similar things, to any number of computers.  Getting rid of the
> "Effects," the "Active Desktop," the "View as Web Page" option, and similar
> crapola makes even older computers pleasant.  At least compared to how they
> were with all that foolishness turned on.

The worst part is that the "view as web page" option for folders seems
like a nice idea.  I have no idea why it should make things so
sluggish.  I like things like having document information pop up in the
right hand bar when I click on a document, or being given thumb nails,
or be able to play tunes, along with all the other summary information
it offers at various times.

And, I see no reason why those features should be able to be rather
snappy, even on machines like 486/66s or early pentiums.

However, you are certainly right that turning those features off when
not needed will make things more snappy.