[rescue] Elite3D Question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 20 07:32:01 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:12:42PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > You'd be surprised how *nice* Linux is (yes, I actually said that) on quality
> > high-dollar hardware.  Dual 20" flat panels, dual 2.4 Xeons w/HT, 2G RAM,
> > fast SCSI drives, and a $500 video card.  Runs Mozilla nicely. 8-)
>
> On hardware like that, even Windows would be nice.

Only some of time time.  Subtract the flat panels for a single monitor,
and bump the video card to close to a grand, and bump the clock rate of
the chips up, and I've spent a lot of time in Windows 2k and Windows XP
on such a system.  Windows can and will still crash.  And, it still has
certain other insanities to deal with (although generous application of
parts of cygwin to get a proper shell do help significantly).  But, when
working, and when the tools aren't getting in your way, it will run very,
very quickly.   Of course, with Windows 2000 workstation (I know they
call it something else now), you can't take advantage of HT if you have
dual processors.

But then, has anyone actually argued that windows is incapable of being
quick?