[rescue] Elite3D Question

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jan 19 21:36:50 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:01:52PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:45:38PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Oh, right.  You have to deal with Linux at work.  I keep forgetting that
> > people actually run that outside of the living room PC. :)
>
> You'd be surprised how *nice* Linux is (yes, I actually said that) on quality
> high-dollar hardware.  Dual 20" flat panels, dual 2.4 Xeons w/HT, 2G RAM,
> fast SCSI drives, and a $500 video card.  Runs Mozilla nicely. 8-)

I do all my serious work on a Linux machine.  Matrox G450 driving a Sun
90D10 at 1920x1200x32 at 85, Athlon XP 1800+, half a gig of RAM, dual SCSI
controllers, mirrored boot disks ...  more RAM wouldn't hurt, but it
virtually never swaps unless I'm doing something totally outrageous in
the Gimp, it basically never goes down unless there's a power failure or
I need to reboot to load a new kernel ...

On the other hand, the Linux nfsd still sucks unwashed donkey ass, which
is why our NFS/SAMBA server is a U30 running Solaris 9.

(Unfortunately, the 90D10 is starting to show early signs of impending
 failure, and if it fails, I can't afford to replace it.)

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :