[rescue] Cluesticks (was Mounting and Dumping)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Jan 18 12:41:45 CST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:39:39PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> There's many in the UK that perceive unions to be 'mad, bad, and
> dangerous to know' although UK unions had a tendency to be mad (taken
> over by the extreme left) rather than bad (corrupt). I suspect though
> that many (maybe even most) UK unions are quietly doing the right thing
> for their members without making news ... and most of us get our
> knowledge of unions from the news or from areas of abuse which gives a
> skewed impression of what unions are like.

Yup, it was always a relative minority of the far-left labor unions that
earned the British trade unions their reputation ...  the coal miners,
the gas workers, the auto workers, the railway workers, one or two
others.  "Red Robbo", the union shop steward at British Leyland,
publicly vowed to break Leyland, and called so many strikes that
eventually his own union members just told him to fuck off and find
something useful to do.

 : alaric at caerllewys.net|alaric-ruthven at earthlink.net|alaric at novylen.net  :