[rescue] Catatonia in the SGI Indigo2

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Jan 16 10:20:01 CST 2004

Jochen Kunz writes ...
> "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got an SGI Indigo2: R4.4k/200, IP22, 128 MB, Extreme Graphics.
> > [...]
> > In the last couple of days, though, it has died when under moderate
> > loads.
>
> I had similar problems with an I2 R10k Impact. The problems went away
> when I added a fan on the front below the CDROM. The CPU is much cooler
> now...

That's two votes for checking the cooling, so I'll do that.

I'm also going to try the same activities, but without running Distributed
Folding at the same time.  That won't prove whether it's a bug in DF, or
just load generally, but maybe something else will give me some help in that
regard.

FWIW, it ran its weekly backup (with DF running) without incident. I doubt
that xfsdump-over-the-network is much of a load, however, so it doesn't
prove anything except that computers can be perverse.  But we knew that.

More when I know it.

-Shel