[rescue] Catatonia in the SGI Indigo2

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Thu Jan 15 20:24:35 CST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> In the last couple of days, though, it has died when under moderate loads.
> When I say "died," I mean the screen goes blank, the yellow "no signal"
> light on the monitor comes on, and the pilot light on the I^2 itself changes
> from green to amber.  The machine's completely catatonic, with no response
> to physical (mouse, keyboard) or neurological (pings) stimuli.

 Have you checked to see if it is dusty inside the case? I periodically
take a can of compressed air to the air vents, fans, and random surfaces
inside the case... after a couple months it tends to build up inside my
Indigo2 (both when it was a R44k w/ Extreme, and now with my R10k w/ dual
SolidIMPACTs)..

 I think I remember reading somewhere (perhaps here) that SGIs can act as
a vacuum cleaner, sucking up hoards of dust, and doing quite a good job at
packing it in.

 So try dusting it (and maybe reseating CPU, memory, framebuffer, etc.)
and cleaning any related contacts.

---
 Matthew Haas
 Corning/Geneseo, NY