[rescue] Power question...

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Tue Jan 13 08:13:31 CST 2004

    Patrick> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 05:48, Bill Bradford wrote:
    >> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:57:35AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    >> > At those prices, why not just buy a UPS and/or power
    >> > conditioner? I'd be just as worried about brownouts affecting
    >> > stuff as I would worry about voltage spikes...
    >>
    >> Because I've *already* got a UPS on everything. 8-) This would go
    >> between the wall and the UPS.

    Patrick> ?? It's plugged into the UPS!

    Patrick> Sorry, this just seems like
    Patrick> super-over-engineered-so-it-must-be-31337 type thinking on
    Patrick> the part of the people that make and sell them.

The need for additional protection would depend on the distance between
the UPS and the equipment, and the local environment.  If you're using a
large centralized UPS, and/or you are in a high-lightning area it would
make sense to add additional protection, and to make sure the cable
lengths between the lightning protection and the protected equipment are
as short as possible.

In a high lightning area I would even consider protective devices on
BOTH sides of a small UPS.

On the other side of the argument, every connection and every device is
another possible source of failure of the whole.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator