[rescue] Power question...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Jan 13 07:46:54 CST 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 05:48, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:57:35AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > At those prices, why not just buy a UPS and/or power conditioner?
> > I'd be just as worried about brownouts affecting stuff as I would
> > worry about voltage spikes...
>
> Because I've *already* got a UPS on everything. 8-)    This would go
> between the wall and the UPS.
>
> I'm not going to buy a $1700 TV and then plug it directly into the
> wall. 8-)

?? It's plugged into the UPS!

Sorry, this just seems like super-over-engineered-so-it-must-be-31337
type thinking on the part of the people that make and sell them.

Every UPS I've seen protects from over-voltage just as well as
under-voltage, and probably will eat the spikes up, as long as it's not
the $100-on-sale-at-BestBuy model.

Save your money for something more useful... like a Sun machine : )

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue