[rescue] my first big iron! and a couple of questions:

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Jan 3 16:18:43 CST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, phoetoid wrote:

> Well it is running FreeBSD right now, but I am having troubles putting
> the system partition back on the disks, because i deleted the partition
> when instalilng fbsd, thinking I would never need it (*curses*).
> Hopefully, it will soon be back at its quad processor goodness, as I am
> having trouble with 4 procs as well, but I think i have a couple of bad
> VRM's or something.  But no no, it will never run windows. This box is
> going to be one of the game servers for my  lan parties. what a waste of
> old hardware eh?

Well, all I can say is 'good luck.' We had two of these beasts at work
which we finally got replaced with Dell Poweredge boxes.  They were
running RedHat Linux (with lots of customizations) and had trouble keeping
from crashing, and problems with the Compaq Raid controller.  My advice:
format w/bad block check the partitions on the hard disks, and DON'T use
the Compaq Raid controller if it came with one.  The SCSI controller with
Linux's software RAID was *much* faster than the hardware raid controller.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue