[rescue] IRIX 6.5.20f disks

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Feb 28 11:32:13 CST 2004

> So I guess Irix Photoshop is out. You can run Bochs on irix, with
> Windows / photoshop within it, but that is way too slow and unstable.
> Maybe wine? Has wine ever been ported to Irix, assuming it doesn't rely
> on x86 specific instructions, but then how would you get the x86
> binaries to run? So that is ruled out also.

Wine is not an emulator, it runs native x86 code and has library
substitues for Windows calls and miscellaneous DLL-s.

So it can not run on MIPS. Only CPU emulation a la bochs could work on
non-x86 cpu (JIT compilation would accelerate it somewhat but you still
need to emualte the CPU).

Personally, I do not expect much from the wine project even on x86
because Windows APIs are a quickly moving target and there is much
speculation that real Windows code has hacks to help work around other
MS application glitches.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)