[rescue] "New" Sparc Classic -- qouple of Q's (my first post)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Feb 23 14:30:48 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 03:27:54PM -0500, John Redmond wrote:
> Somewhat unrelated: I'm stuck with a dial-up internet connection, so I
> can no longer run servers at home for more than my own amusement. I'm
> interested in any opinions on how foolhardy would it be to stick the
> ss20 (say) in a co-lo and use it for real - maybe hosting some domains
> for friends and/or local charities or small businesses etc. Obviously
> the hardware is great quality, but it IS old, and I'm guessing I would
> have to expect to do any repairs myself.

Why not?  Just buy another complete ss20 for under $100 and keep it as a
spare.

I've actually never had anything but hard drives and framebuffers [1]
fail in SPARC boxes.  All other failures I eve rdealt with were the
result of bad cooling and were where E4Ks were just "frying" boards. [2]

Bill

[1] I've replaced FOUR Creator 2Ds since I started here, all in ancient U2
    machines.
[2] Three E4Ks in a single rack, with no real forced-air cooling.  Putting a
    $10 box fan from Walmart at the top and bottom of the rack solved the
    problem, after three CPU/RAM boards had been replaced.

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net
austin, texas