[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Fri Apr 30 15:50:53 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > Ahem.  I must disagree.  A G5 is most certainly a UNIX workstation.  The
> > one sitting on my desk is doing a fine job of being one.
>
> The original thread was specifically about UNIX worktations.
>
> I even made it a point to say "outside of the PC/Apple world".

K' here's where we disagree, as the G5 is a purpose-built UNIX workstation
in every sense of the word, every bit as much as a Sun, for example.  It
can't run anything besides UNIX.  So, I don't get your logic.

> > Try the Blade 2500.
>
> OK, only $4000.  Or is that too high a price for one?

Depends.  Most of us join the developer network and get the discounts.
Nobody in their right mind pays list for Sun hardware. :-)

> In the context of the original thread though, this isn't a good PC
> replacment.
>
> It would be an awesome high end PC replacement though.

Well, yeah.  That's the idea.

> I'd love to see a herd of these in the cubicle farms.

Me too.  When I win the lottery. :-)

-PEte