x86 vs real workstations WAS: [rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Apr 30 15:09:57 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:03, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Well, my faster x86 box primarily does music and runs its TV card so
> that I don't miss Adult Swim.

Yeah, I've got a linux box that does that too, it's called a Tivo :)

>   I occasionally use it to play games when
> I'm feeling bored and brain-dead.

I use ALL of my boxes for games, just not always the same game, except
BZFlag, I play that everywhere.  I'm a game junkie, and I'm not ashamed
to admit it.  Using a computer for games does not preclude using it for
real work.

> The slower of the two is my Linux hackaround box, so that I don't soon
> forget why I hate that fscking OS.

I love linux.  On the other hand, I love Irix too, which many people say
makes me brain damaged.

Well, on second thought, that's not entirely true.  It's not linux I
love, it's the GNU utilities.  I'm just used to the way they work.
Really, any decent unixish OS that supports my hardware and has the GNU
utilities will make me happy.  However, as I stated above, I do love my
games, and Linux is the only OS that my games tend to run on except
Windows, and I won't allow that piece of shit in my house.  I've got
more reason to hate MS than anybody I know, a quick Google of +Microsoft
+"Caleb Shay" will tell you why.  They never did bother to print a press
release for when they dropped the case a year and half later when it
became obvious to them they had the wrong guy.

Cheers,

Caleb