[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 30 13:37:39 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 6:58 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> I normally hesitate to jump in on a discussion that looks like
> Dave-baiting, but I can't resist any longer.
>
> It is amazing to me that even people on this list are surprised at the
> value/power of years-old workstations compared to PC's.  Folks, there
> is
> a reason why these boxes cost what they did originally.  Hint: it
> wasn't
> for the pretty plastic.  The recent death of so many .com businesses
> has
> made it really easy to be a collector of some awfully powerful
> equipment.

   Thanks for adding your voice of reason.

   And I've had quite enough of the Dave-baiting.  It is not "fun" or
"cool" to push x86 hardware in a decidedly non-x86 crowd.  Nor is it
"fun" or "cool" to stick your head in the sand and think you somehow
MUST buy what Microsoft wants you to buy simply because they have a lot
of money.  These notions of "but I NEEEEEEEEED it!" and "I have no
choice!" are, in all but the most unusual cases, nothing more than a
pathetic excuse for not having the testicular fortitude or the
intelligence to study the options, exercise free will, and make an
informed decision.

   Lazy sheep...just what Dr. Microsoft ordered.  How do you think they
got so rich?  Not by buying cheap wine in a cardboard box.

   It is also pointless, and rather silly, to try to classify every
electronic computing device as if it were supposed to be competing with
Windows PCs, or will somehow inevitably be replaced by a Windows PC.

   There was a time when the people here knew better...but that time has
clearly passed.  So with that, I am unsubscribing from this list.  It
was fun while it lasted, but these days, there are just too many
x86-pushing remote-controlled PC marketing droids and "PCs are cheaper"
cargo-culters around here for my taste.

          -Dave